Monday, June 27, 2016

I'm back from Florida. The weather today--mid-eighties, medium humidity--feels downright arctic compared to the wild, thick heat of Orlando. This morning I picked blueberries and raspberries. That part of our garden has been woefully untended these last few weeks, but now that it's really, truly summer, I plan to be a better caretaker.

Here's a picture of the me being a panelist. I'm the one with the short dark hair. I'm sitting next to an famous author who has entered the world of children's literature. She was lovely, I'm pleased to inform you.

I'm always very nervous when I go to these big events, but everyone this weekend was wonderful and kind. And when I went to do my book-signing yesterday there was actually a line! I'm always sure no one will come, but they do. I adore librarians. They're my favorites.

***
This morning I woke up to this fabulous comment from Mags:

Ah, talk of the attic. I love your attic. Please go on just talking about the attic. It gives me such hope! I feel those blues right now. Summer starts on Thursday here (despite the fact that we have had our summer weather month in May, as always, and it will just rain on and off now, as always), and I am stressed and sad at the thought of all the interesting things to do that will stay on slips of paper in the interesting things to do jar, and at the knowledge of all the screen time and fights that will not stay in the screen and fights jar. Sigh. There may be reading and music practice, but that will come our of the fights jar too!

Mags, I promise to keep talking about the attic. It makes me feel hopeful too. It's such a dream--that somehow, someday, I'll clean up all my messes and get rid of all the junk in my life. As though that were possible. But it's pretty to think so, and some days it seems almost possible.

And thank you, Miss M, for admitting that you, too, feel the summer blues. It's good to know I'm not alone. I don't know about the UK, but here in the US there's an endless stream of messages about how fun, fun, fun summer is. Summer in my part of the world is beautiful, but it goes on too long. And yes, the screen time and fights refuse to stay in the jar.

I'm very, very tired of screen time.

***

I'm going to try to write here every day, Monday through Friday. One of the hard things for me about summer is the lack of routine, so I'm looking for ways to give my days more structure beyond writing time. So check in, say hi, and wish me luck!

3 comments:

Nancy McCarroll said...

I am checking in, saying hi and wishing you good luck.

About the attic...just leave it unattended. It is not worried about what it holds because it is packed with possibilities and promise. Let those opportunities marinate until such time as a project calls for you to seek out one of its treasures. You will be grateful that treasure was not discarded but was just waiting for its calling.

Pom Pom said...

Yay! I will love reading your words M-F!

Tracy said...

Librarians are my favourite people too. Our library tech at school shares my surname (no relation, she's from thr UK) and she knows all the things about all the books. Incidentally I am reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird' for the first time in 30 years. Mr Busy has to read if this term for school so I thought a revisit might be worthwhile.

You should come and live here - our summer holidays are 5-6 weeks and then we are back into things. Just as the heat ramps up. But Melbourne isn't humid so we all survive well enough. Thwnk you God for the invention of air conditioning!!!!